Do you think being a perfectionist is about things being perfect?
It is about thinking things need to be perfect and vigilantly pursuing it. A Perfectionist is on a continual feeling of having everything right in his life. A perfectionist is not living life in a place of self-acceptance. The brief satisfaction of “right” is achieved, is temporary.
Table Of Contents
- 1 The problem with perfection
- 2 Retrain your mind to stop being a perfectionist
- 3 How to get past the fear of perfectionism?
- 4 Perfectionism: Is It a Good Or a Bad Thing?
- 5 Types of perfectionism
- 6 How do you become a ‘healthy’ Perfectionist?
The problem with perfection
The problem is not that you are aiming for perfection. It is that you don’t have a redemptive idea of what perfection demands.Most perfectionists smile on the outside but inside they feel frustrated, exhausted and unappreciated. Click To Tweet
The problem with perfection is not that you are impatient. Not that you cannot accept things that are more difficult than what you expect.
The problem with perfectionism is that most people are mediocre by choice, not by birth. Hence you have to deal with a bunch of people every day living under the law of the minimum effort.
You are struggling every day with many problems and handicaps to reach your best. You have to face and accept that most of the people don’t care about the outcomes of their actions.
Also, they are not willing to take responsibilities for their mistakes. But every single person expects you to take full responsibility for all your mistakes and even for those that are not your mistakes.
“I am not a perfectionist. Perfection doesn’t exist in real life. It’s a wrong title for me.” Aamir Khan
Retrain your mind to stop being a perfectionist
How to get past the fear of perfectionism?
Ask these 3 questions yourself
- What is the real fear behind your perfectionism?
- Why do you fear that?
- What is the worst that could happen?
Perfectionism: Is It a Good Or a Bad Thing?
Are you thinking why is perfectionism always perceived so negatively? Is there any bright side to it? Yes, there are.
Perfectionists have great organisation skills. They are constantly developing to meet their own high standards. These can backfire and cause anxiety and depression. That’s the flip side of the coin.
Lately, perfectionism has been looked at as a negative trait. But if utilized the right way, it might be empowering.
Perfectionism is a personal trait
- Striving for flawlessness
- Setting excessively high standards
- Overly critical self-evaluations
- Concerns regarding others’ opinions
The good side of perfectionism
- Higher personal standards
- Great organization skills
- A more polished end result
- Love for details
The bad side of perfectionism
- Social Anxiety
Types of perfectionism
- Self-oriented perfectionists – Adhere to strict standards while maintaining strong motivation to reach perfection and avoid failure; engage in strict self-evaluation.
- Other-oriented perfectionists – Set unrealistic standards for significant others (e.g., partners, children, co-workers) and strictly evaluate their performance.
- Socially-prescribed perfectionists – Believe that others hold unrealistic expectations for their behaviour. (and they can’t live up to this) experience external pressure to be perfect.
How do you become a ‘healthy’ Perfectionist?
These actions will gradually change your way of thinking:
- Practice being in the present.
- Do something badly on purpose.
- Put your perfectionism on paper.
- Take small risks.
Find out more in the Infographic.
You can find many people have traits of perfectionists and are proud of them. Do you know there are important differences between perfectionists and high achievers? Remember, being a high achiever is far better for your calm mind and happiness
If you have perfectionistic tendencies, find strategies to get past them and move toward being a non-perfectionistic high achiever.
Are you a perfectionist? What are your thoughts on being a perfectionist?
Share your views in the comment box below.
“Sharing is Caring!” Share this post with others.
Mathukutty P. V. is the founder of Simply Life Tips. Blogger, Influencer, Content Writer, YouTuber. Lives with a notion “SIMPLE LIVING, CREATIVE THINKING”. Believe – “Sharing is caring.” “Learning never ends.”
Hey! Thanks a bunch for reading this post, I hope it was of value to you. I publish new posts regularly. So be sure to check back soon, or