In my article 8 Things To Judge If You Are
Table Of Contents
Empowerment Checklist- A Growth Mindset
What is a Growth Mindset?
Carol Dweck, the Stanford professor who brought this term to the world’s attention, says that “individuals believe their most basic abilities can be developed through dedication and hard work- brains and talents are just a starting point. This view creates a love of learning and a resilience that is essential for great accomplishment”
I think the keywords in this definition are dedication, hard work, resilience and the love of learning. Without these factors, we cannot continuously improve and add value to the organisation that we are part of.
What is a Fixed Mindset?The flip side of a growth mindset is a fixed mindset. Click To Tweet
The flip side of a growth mindset is a fixed mindset. According to Carol Dweck, a fixed mindset is “when an individual believes their talents and skills are set in stone – how God made us is basically who we are”.
With this mindset, individuals are not open to more growth and learning as they do not think that dedication and hard work will increase the efficacy of their talents.
For those of you who would like to go into more depth about what Carol Dweck says on Growth Mindset here are some links. It is interesting that she says that we are all a mixture of growth and fixed mindsets. She also says we should be mindful of the triggers that activate each mindset and manage it for the best outcomes for ourselves.
- How praise became a consolation prize
- Carol Dweck Ted Talk
- What having a growth mindset actually means
- Carol Dweck revisits the growth mindset
As is the practice with me, I would like to delve deeper into the growth mindset.
Let’s consider your job and how you do it
As they say, about 70% of our growth and development happens on the job. These questions will help you gain insights into how you approach your job and the growth you gain from it.
- What improvements have you made in the last 6 months?
- How do you keep up to date in your field?
- Do people come to you for advice or guidance?
- How will you improve further?
- What does a top class look like in your job?
- What would you need to do to become top class?
Think about a big project you have done.
Projects are great learning experiences. Use these questions to gauge how well you navigated unknown territory and grew from that.
- What were some of the challenges you faced?
- How did you overcome them?
- What helped you overcome them?
- How did you feel when these challenges came up?
- What were your learnings?
Think about your work environment
Your work environment has a lot to do with your mindset. If your environment is supportive of learning from mistakes and taking risks, you are in paradise. If on the other hand, failure is frowned upon, you will stick to what you know best and not take any risks. Answer these questions to find out if you are in paradise or not.If your environment is supportive of learning from mistakes and taking risks, you are in paradise. Click To Tweet
- What happened when you made a mistake or didn’t get the expected result?
- What is rewarded in your workplace?
- How is risk-taking treated?
- How would you rate collaboration in your team or between teams?
A growth mindset will give you the confidence to overcome challenges, master your job and the confidence to scale greater heights. Be mindful that your growth mindset is in operation most of the time. Never settle for what you know and do well. In a rapidly changing world, staying in the same spot will mean you are going backwards ( more relevant now with artificial intelligence and robotics)
Build your confidence and take control of your destiny. Be a free agent and chose the opportunities and experiences that are going to shape your future. Keep your growth mindset active and engaged.
What do you do for empowerment? Do you help others’ empowerment?
Do you have any suggestions or tips for empowerment?
- The Key To Female Work Participation Lies In Our Homes
- Australia Jobs | How To Get Your First Job
- 8 Types Of “Bad Bosses” And How You Can Handle Them
- 8 Things To Judge If You Are Empowered
This post was originally published on Stridez by Subi Nanthivarman
Thanks for sharing the post on your network. Remember ” Sharing is Caring!”
Your valuable suggestions and comments will help to make my effort on this small blog a success.
Mathukutty P. V. is the founder of Simply Life Tips, a passionate Blogger, Content writer, Influencer, YouTuber. Lives with a notion “SIMPLE LIVING, CREATIVE THINKING”. Believe – “Sharing is caring.” “Learning never ends.”